Saturday 18 September 2010

Outward Bound

Our accommodation
The view from where we stayed

Last week I got to go on an Outward Bound camp with a group of seventh graders.  Anyone who new me in Perth would know that whilst I thought they were valuable for the kids that they were not something that I wanted to be part of.  Surprisingly here I look forward to it.  So it was off to the mountains for a week of climbing and hiking.  After the first few days of little sleep and rope courses we set off for a hike up to a mountain hut.  It was a long walk which took about 5 hours with breaks.  It was a beautiful walk that was lead and run by students.  We walked past Neuschwanstein and had lunch near a waterfall.  After a night in the hut we then took on the next challenge of walking up and over the summit ( a 7 hour hike - with breaks).  Having never walked up a mountain before this was what I was concerned with most - could my knees and fitness levels last!  It was a beautiful walk up and I surprised myself by being ok.  The main problem ended up being coming down the mountain.  We took a steep path and my knees are still sore a week later! Overall it was a great week - but I could not wait to get home to my hot bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers