Monday 27 September 2010

Dubai


Last week I spent a couple of days out in Dubai weighing and measuring a number of yachts in preparation for their new racing season (they race in the "winter" as it is far too hot to go outside in the summer).

Even though the local economic meltdown had decimated investment, with the majority of construction projects affected, the castles in the desert of Dubai are still overwhelming, but with some of their lustre lost.


After a sleepy 6 hour flight from Munich, I arrived at 0630 and went straight to the marina to run around organising and overseeing the stripping for weighing and measuring of 6 yachts. In the extreme heat and humidity I ended up in hospital with a nasty bout of heat stroke. A couple of hours on a drip and 16 hours sleep had me feeling ready for more measuring the next morning, albeit with a new-found respect for air conditioning.

For my stay, I enjoyed the delightful hospitality of Toby and Chass, who have a six week old daughter and two rambunctious labradoodles. I particularly enjoyed their chilled pool and a Saturday night barbeque with some of their neighbours.

It was an interesting couple of days, but I was still happy to come home to Lohhof.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers