Saturday 11 May 2013

Vitra Campus


For another rainy day activity, we had discovered that there was a design museum in Weil am Rhein, on the outskirts of Basel. Vitra, a Swiss furniture manufacturer, has a unique factory complex comprising buildings by various world renowned architects including Nicholas Grimshaw, Frank Gehry, Zaha Hadid, Alvaro Siza, Herzog & de Meuron and my favourite, Tadao Ando.



The Frank Gehry designed museum is the centrepiece of the Vitra Campus, but strangely, it was the most underwhelming of the buildings. It appeared to eschew the edict of form following function with its profligate use of “look at me“ twirls and random angles. Subsequently, this made it very easy to photograph.



I have been an admirer of the Japanese architect Tadao Ando ever since I recognised his 1981 Koshino House in Ashiya, Japan as “my” house. My taste for shuttered concrete has been ridiculed over the ensuing years, but it has stood the test of time. Just being in and around his conference pavilion here at Vitra has confirmed my fascination with Ando’s brutally beautiful simple style. This visit had the same spiritual quality as my pilgrimage to the house and studio of Alvar Aalto in Helsinki.





The VitraHaus, designed by Herzog and de Meuron in 2010, is the flagship store for the Vitra Home Collection. The exterior appears as a random stack of graphite black, pentagonal tubes. The interior quite cleverly guides the visitor down through five spectacular levels of the company’s products like a very up-market Ikea. The furniture on display was often intelligent, invariably ultra stylish and expensive. But, I am afraid that I was more taken by the building itself, especially the delightfully sculptural staircases.






The Zaha Hadid designed fire station displays none of the hallmark fluid shapes of some of her other famous projects, but its angularity is highlighted by zig-zag, shard-like shapes of shuttered concrete panels. I loved it.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers