Thursday 1 December 2011

Kings Cup

I was in Phuket in December for the Kings Cup. I have been coming to this event almost since it began in 1987. Initially I was competing on Buzzard and Big Buzzard, but very gradually my role morphed into the organisation side of things. Now I work flat out for three days before the event and then when the racing starts, I do cameo appearances on different boats each day of the six day regatta.


Here we are measuring sails in the air-conditioned ballroom of the Kata Beach Resort, a principal sponsor of the event. They also provide a very comfortable room with a delightful view over the swimming pools out over Kata Bay, which I normally couldn't afford.


At one of the (many) parties, we had an unofficial reunion of the Buzzard crew, with some of us being in the original lineup. Same stories, but the faces were looking a bit older if not necessarily wiser.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers