Monday 15 November 2010

Malta

View from one of my hotel room's balconies
Having been to a number of maths conferences over the years I would have to say this one tops the list for location.  It was a 2 hour flight south of Munich from the very cold to sunny Malta.  The hotel we I stayed in was overlooking the beach and my room was a suite!  It had 3 balconies and it was great to hear the waves, smell the sea and wake up with this view especially after living in land-locked Munich for the last year and a half.  The great thing was that when I arrived I met another maths teacher (Lisa) at the airport who was from the other international school here in Munich, so it was great to meet and talk to her. 

The hotel was on the opposite side of the island to any of the main towns but they put on a bus to St Julian's so we went there for a great Mediterranean dinner.  On the Saturday night Scott (another maths teacher), Lisa and myself shared a cab to Mdina, a medieval walled town which many years ago was the capital.  It was beautiful in the dark and I want to take Malcolm there and see it in daylight. 

On the Sunday a group of 8 of us hired a mini van and went to the capital Valletta.  As our day finished early we had a chance to walk around in the light.

 
 Malta is a beautiful place and I look forward to going back, hiring a car and exploring more than just a the end of each conference day.  It was very hard to get on the plane back to the cold...

Click here for more photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers